Slip, Trip and Fall Injuries*

Slips, trips and falls* and accidents of this nature may occur anywhere – on public footpaths, in supermarkets and shopping centres or on other people’s property.

Examples of such accidents are slipping on water or other forms of liquid in a supermarket or shopping centre or tripping on a defective stairs, and tripping over a crack in a footpath that was not laid or repaired properly.

In general, a property owner or occupier of the premises has a duty to provide a reasonably clean and safe environment for persons who are lawfully on the property i.e. they cannot act negligently which means they have to take all reasonable precautions to provide for your safety. They must warn you of dangers of which they are aware, e.g. if a floor is wet they must act quickly to clean the surface and put up a “wet floor” sign to warn you of the danger.

There are certain steps you should take if you are involved in an accident on someone else’s property and as a result of which you have sustained an injury:

  • Photograph the accident location as soon as possible.
  • If there are witnesses, obtain their names and addresses and telephone numbers if possible.
  • Report the accident to the person in charge or the property owner as soon as possible and request that they make a written note of the accident as this will be required at a later stage should you wish to bring a personal injuries* claim arising out of the accident.
  • Seek medical attention as soon as possible and report the accident to your doctor giving details of how, where and when the accident occurred.
  • Seek legal advice from a solicitor who is familiar with personal injuries* litigation

* If you would like to find out if you have a compensation claim please contact us on 01-6266477 or fill out the assessment form and we will be happy to advise you with no obligation.

There are times when a property owner or occupier of a premises will not be liable for an accident that occurs on his premises, for example:

  • When the accident was caused through your own fault.
  • Where you fail to avoid the hazard or notice of the hazard such as warning signs.
  • Where the hazard did not exist long enough to allow the property owner to take reasonable steps to clean and make safe the hazard.

In many cases the property owner will carry public liability insurance that protects the property owner from personal liability to pay compensation claims arising out of accidents. In many cases it is the same practice that operates in road traffic accidents where the insurance company will pay compensation where the property owner or his employees have been negligent.

If you would like advice on an accident that occurred by way of a slip, trip or fall* or an accident in a public place please call us on 01-6266477 or complete our online assessment form and we will be happy to advise you without any obligation.

Where a significant injury occurs as a result of a slip, trip or fall* the claimant can receive compensation for pain and suffering as a result of the injury and also loss of earnings, medical expenses, travel expenses and any other expense that is reasonably incurred as a result of the accident.