Guide to claiming injury compensation for RTA crashes and accidents.

Contact Solicitor

Car accidents and crashes* | personal injury claims for road traffic accidents* | motorway accidents* | bicycle accidents* | moped crashes*| motorcycle crashes* | pedestrian accidents*

Quinn Solicitors have extensive experience in dealing with motor accident / road traffic accident personal injury* claims and all other accidents that occur on our roads involving motor vehicles, cyclists or pedestrians.

If you have suffered a personal injury as a result of a road accident in which you were a driver, passenger, cyclist or pedestrian, you may have a claim for compensation. If you have suffered damage to your car from an uninsured driver or been the victim of a hit and run, you may be entitled to compensation for you losses or injuries.

10 steps to take following a road traffic accident which may help your claim*

There are certain steps that you should follow when you are involved in a car accident / road traffic accident and there is certain information that you should obtain before leaving the scene of the accident and this is set out below for you:

Get the registration numbers of the other vehicles involved in the motor accident / road traffic accident.

Get the name and address of the driver(s) of the other vehicle(s) involved in the motor accident / road traffic accident.

Get the insurance policy details of the other drivers involved and in particular the insurance particulars for the driver of the vehicle that you think is at fault. This information is readily obtainable from the windscreen of the vehicles involved. It is also important to obtain the name of the insurnce company, policy details and expiry date on the policy. This information will also be contained on the insurance disc in the windscreen of the vehicle involved.

Witnesses to a road traffic accident / motor accident may be vital to the outcome of your claim for compensation if a dispute as to who was responsible for the road traffic develops at a later stage.

It is not uncommon for a driver of a vehicle involved in a motor or road traffic accident to admit liability for the accident at the scene and later on, to change their attitude to liability or change their version of how the accident occurred. This can happen quite frequently as people are often in shock following a motor accident/road traffic accident.

Your details and the details of all of the other drivers and passengers involved should be given to the Gardai who attend at the scene of the motor accident / road traffic accident. In addition, the names, addresses and contact numbers for any witnesses should also be given to the Gardai.

The Gardai compile a report and this will be made available to your solicitors and the insurance company’s solicitors at a later stage. Accordingly, it is of crucial importance that all particulars be given to the Gardai at the scene of a road traffic accident.

If the Gardai do not call to the scene of the accident, it is important to report the matter to the local Garda station and insist that the particulars of the road traffic accident, to include the location of the accident, details of all drivers involved and witnesses etc are recorded in the Garda station.

Do not admit liability for the motor accident to anybody at the scene of the accident, whatever your own view of how the road traffic accident occurred, it is always preferable not to admit any liability for the road traffic accident at the scene as it is common for people involved in motor accidents to suffer from shock etc in the immediate aftermath of road traffic accidents.

It should also be remembered that it is usually a condition of your motor insurance policy that you must not admit liability for the motor accident* without the consent of the insurance company.

If possible, take photographs of the location of the accident before the vehicles involved in the motor accident are moved. In addition, it is also prudent to take photographs of the damage to all motor vehicles involved in the road traffic accident* so that the damage to all vehicles can be shown at a later stage if a dispute arises as to the identity or extent of the damage caused in the motor accident.

If you are injured after the road traffic accident seek medical attention as soon as possible after the motor accident and always trying to ensure that details are recorded correctly by your doctor or at the hospital correctly. Always try to be as accurate as possible in giving details of your injuries.

This is important as medical records of your first attendance after the motor accident* are often requested by the insurance company for the other drivers involved and it is important to ensure that the accident and how it happened is described properly together with all symptoms and injuries arising from the road traffic accident.

If a delay occurs between the motor accident* and the first attendance at hospital or GP, it is common that the insurance company will allege that you were not really seriously injured in the road traffic accident in the first place.

Accordingly, it is very important that you attend for medical treatment for your injuries as soon as possible after the motor accident has happened.

Keep a diary of events following the road traffic accident. As part of this diary you should detail any expenses that you incur as a result of the motor accident, such as travelling expenses, medical expenses, loss of earnings, costs for physiotherapy, insurance policy excess, damage to property, car hire if required etc etc. These expenses may be claimed back as part of your claim arising from your road traffic accident.

The most important step is to see if you have a claim contact Quinn Solicitors for an assessment on 01-6266477 or email or fill out our quick enquiry form below.

Examples of personal injuries in road traffic accidents*

  • Driver or passenger whiplash injuries or back injury from car crashes
  • Damage to your car or property as a result of a car accident
  • Cyclists hit by cars or motorcycles – knocked of a bicycle
  • Pedestrian injured by car or motorcycle – knocked down or struck by vehicle
  • Hit and Run victims
  • Victims of uninsured drivers

You can contact a solicitor here

+353 1 626 6477
Request Free Callback