If you have been involved in an accident on public transport and you have been injured as a result of this accident then it may be possible to claim compensation for any injuries sustained in that accident.

As a passenger in a vehicle which has been involved in an accident it is usually the case that the accident was caused by either the driver of the public transport service vehicle or some other factors such as other road users in such circumstances, provided one is injured and you did not contribute in any significant manner to the injury, then it is possible to claim compensation for injuries arising out of that particular accident.

Public transport service vehicles must be maintained to a very high standard as the owners and drivers of these vehicles are charged with the responsibility of carrying members of the public to various destinations usually at a cost to that particular service user as such, public service vehicles must be maintained to a very high standard with regular servicing and maintenance of the vehicles involved and if an accident occurs owing to their failure to do so, then it may be possible to seek compensation arising out of this negligence on the part of the service provider.

In addition to a public service providers liability to members of the public, the company is also responsible for the health and safety and wellbeing of their employees. If you are injured as an employee of a service company and owing to the failure/negligence of your employer then it may be possible to seek compensation for the injuries that result from that public service provider/employer.



1. Get medical attention.

It is important for you to assess immediately the extent of your injury and as soon as is possible thereafter to seek medical attention as to maintain your health must be a number one priority. In addition, going to the local A & E Department of the nearest hospital will also provide a record of the fact that you were in an accident and the extent of your injuries etc. which will be necessary in a subsequent legal case should you decide to pursue one.

2. Report to the Gardai/Police.

When you have gathered all available information it is important for you to contact the Gardai as soon as possible after a road traffic accident occurs. The Gardai may well attend the scene, particularly if there are serious injuries to any of the parties involved in the accident.

However, owing to finite resources, the Gardai do not always attend the scene of road traffic accidents and it is important that you gather all the available information and report the matter to the nearest Garda Station where the accident occurred at your earliest convenience.
Where serious accidents occur, the Gardai may require statements from the parties involved. It is important to remember that you are not obliged to give a statement, but it may well be in your interest to do so.

3. Collect the Necessary Information.

As soon as the accident has occurred and you have assessed your injuries, it is important for you to collect as much information in respect of the accident as possible. If you are in a position to move around, then you should do all or as many of the following steps as possible:

(a) Take photographs of the scene on your mobile phone;
(b) Get the name of the driver of the service provider.
(c) Get the name of the driver/drivers of the other vehicles involved;
(d) Get names and addresses of any witnesses;
(e) Get the registration numbers of the vehicles involved;
(f) Get insurance particulars to include policy numbers in respect of the vehicles involved;
(g) Details of the name, number and station if the gardai attended the scene of the accident;
(h) If an ambulance is called, request details of the ambulance personal, which department they come from i.e. Fire Service or HSE.
(i) Contact Quinn Solicitors Experts in Personal Injuries Claims if you are interested in pursuing a claim for Personal Injuries arising out of your motorcycle accident, to discuss your case as soon as possible for you after your accident. It is important to remember that you only have two years from the date that you were injured to bring a claim for personal injuries and accordingly it is important that you act reasonably quickly following your road traffic accident as it is necessary to gather in quite a lot of information before the matter can be progressed in a meaningful way.

You can contact a solicitor here

+353 1 626 6477
Request Free Callback